U.S. House Passes Drug Pricing & ACA Package
A package of bills to bolster the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and reduce drug prices passed the House.
The vote late Thursday was 234 to 183 and mostly along party lines. House Democratic leaders packaged together (H.R. 987) several bills with bipartisan support that look to spur the creation of more low-cost generic drugs with those that counter Trump administration changes to the ACA’s individual health insurance marketplaces.
Senate Republicans rejected the idea they would take up the package, also suggesting that they would strip out and take up separately the drug pricing legislation many of them support. Senate Finance Chair Charles Grassley (R-IA), who has backed one of the bills (H.R. 965) contained in the package, said the Senate is working on its own health care package.
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) said Republicans should “put patients before politics” and support the House-passed bill.
This Week in the States
- Connecticut – New CT marijuana proposal favors poor residents for retail licenses
- Florida – Mark your calendars: Legislature plans mid-September interim committee start
- Florida – DeSantis vetoes bill on plastic straw bans
- Illinois – Illinois revenue bump spurs debate over Pritzker tax hikes
- Indiana – Indiana joins list of states legalizing sports betting
- Iowa – Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signs sports betting bill
- Maine – As Maine Democrats pile up legislative victories, Republicans look for points of influence
- Missouri – What to watch for in this final week of the Missouri Legislature’s session
- Nebraska – Nebraska lawmakers grumble at likelihood of puny tax cut
- Nebraska – Medical marijuana bill up for first debate in the Nebraska legislature
- Nevada – Governor approves protections for pre-existing conditions
- Nevada – Much-awaited legislation lays out roadmap for marijuana regulation under thumb of Cannabis Compliance Board
- New Hampshire – New Hampshire House Kills Bill that Could Have Delayed Sports Betting
- New Jersey – Surprise N.J. weed bill would decriminalize up to 2 ounces, see widespread expungements
- Oklahoma – Oklahoma governor, lawmakers reach deal on $8.3B budget
- Oregon – Oregon sees $870M windfall in tax revenue in what economist calls a ‘truly seismic event’
- Pennsylvania – $12-15 minimum wage?
- Tennessee – How sports betting varies by state, as it nears online launch in Tennessee
- West Virginia – West Virginia lawmakers to reconvene next week on education
- Wisconsin – Wisconsin To See $753M Jump In Tax Collections
Categories: Politics & Elections