California Moves Towards Universal Health Insurance
Residents of California will be assessed a penalty if they do not have health insurance coverage under the new state budget plan Gov. Gavin Newsom signed June 27. Gov. Newsom signed A.B. 74, enacting a $215 billion budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
The insurance mandate is included in S.B. 78, one of the 15 related bills that make statutory revisions necessary to carry out the universal coverage requirement. Read the latest in our blog post here.
Consideration of H.R. 2500, Fiscal 2020 NDAA
United States military programs would be reauthorized at the amount of $733 billion under H.R. 2500, the fiscal year 2020 National Defense Authorization Act. The bill would provide $633 billion in funding for the Department of Defense (DoD) and $69 billion in Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO) funds.
The House is scheduled to continue consideration of H.R. 2500 as it considers over 400 floor amendments to the bill. Among the notable amendment topics are the authorization of low-yield nuclear weapons, per- and polyflouroalkyl substances (PFAS), the number of Navy ships, and military housing & spouse benefits. You can learn more at this week’s blog post here.
This Week in the States
- Pennsylvania – ‘Nobody is going to go to heaven.’ Pa. budget deal divides Democrats
- Colorado – Polis hits Republican wall over special session, deal on Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights
- North Carolina – Electric vehicle owners won’t pay higher NC registration fees next year after all
- Massachusetts – Legislation eyes statewide standards for police body cams
- Pennsylvania – Agriculture, Pennsylvania’s No. 1 industry, supported through new state farm bill
- Oregon – ‘Christmas tree bill’ pumps funds to local projects
- Wisconsin – GOP lawmakers spark new clash over Tony Evers’ authority with constitutional amendment to limit veto power
- Virginia – GOP-Led Virginia Legislature Abruptly Adjourns Gun Session
- Florida – Court Says Florida’s Pot Law Clashes With Constitutional Amendment
- Wyoming – Revenue Committee takes another crack at fuel tax
- Colorado – Recall petition for Colorado Gov. Jared Polis approved; signature-gathering could start this week
- Iowa – Iowa supporters of medical cannabis seek study committee
- Alabama – Lawmakers say prep time needed before special session on prisons
- Kansas – GOP threat ends Kansas governor’s food assistance extension
- New Jersey – Residents Claim Gas Tax Hike Hasn’t Led to Improved Roads