Legislative Update: Craft Beer & Distilleries
According to figures released by the U.S. Senate Finance Committee, in 2016, the brewing industry alone contributed more than $350 billion to the U.S. economy, directly and indirectly employing about 2.23 million Americans. The wine industry contributed $220 billion and 1.7 million jobs, and spirits contributed more than $173 billion and 1.5 million jobs.
This fast-growing industry is drawing the attention of lawmakers at the federal level and in state capitals across the country.
You can catch up on the latest developments in our blog post here.
Legislative Update: Gas Taxes
Infrastructure spending, at the federal, state, and local levels, is a key topic of conversation in 2019. It has been more than 60 years since President Eisenhower authorized the construction of the Interstate Highway System, and many of our nation’s roads and bridges are in disrepair or in need of modernization.
In order to tackle the challenge posed by an aging infrastructure and its impact on budgets, many states, and some in the federal government, are looking to increased gas taxes.
In this week’s blog post, we review some of the latest developments across the country.
This Week in the States
- Alabama – Gas tax increase coming to Alabama legislature
- California – California lawmakers propose soda tax, outlawing super-size sugary drinks
- Connecticut – Lamont’s budget address focuses on expanding state sales tax, fixing state pensions, tolls
- Delaware – Delaware lawmaker calls AG ‘way out of her lane’ on relaxed pot policy
- Florida – Florida bill would give rental property power to the state
- Florida – Florida Legislature moves closer to ending ban on smokable medical marijuana
- Idaho – Effort To Legalize Hemp Continues At Idaho Legislature
- Illinois – Gov. J.B. Pritzker signs law raising Illinois’ minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025
- Iowa – Prairie Meadows bets big on Iowa sports gambling
- Louisiana – Louisiana governor unveils $30B budget
- Massachusetts – Mass. still short on transportation funding, report says
- Missouri – Missouri lawmakers to consider ending tax break for seniors who rent
- Montana – Lawmakers Consider Major Shift In State Infrastructure Planning
- Nevada – Marijuana testing, traffic camera tickets on tap in Nevada Legislature
- New Jersey – N.J. close to legalizing weed as Murphy and top Democrats have a deal
- Oklahoma – Measures moving in Legislature: Constitutional carry, a teacher raise and a state steak. What else is proposed?
- Oregon – 20 eye-catching Oregon bills introduced in 2019
- Pennsylvania – Gov. Tom Wolf proposes tax breaks, loans in new Pa. Farm Bill
- Pennsylvania – Bipartisan bill would expand access to solar energy in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania – Gov. Wolf proposed more money for public schools, but districts say math just doesn’t add up
- Texas – Craft brewers gain major ally but battle in legislature continues
- Wisconsin – Wisconsin governor announces proposal to decriminalize marijuana possession, legalize medical use
Duane Morris Government Strategies can provide your business or organization with the solutions it needs to track these and other developments in state capitals across the country.
To learn more, please contact us at email@example.com or 609-577-3687
Stay In Touch