Legislative Update – Data Privacy Laws
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) have spawned a wave of action in state legislatures across the country. Lawmakers are focused on protecting the personal data of their constituents, and have introduced a series of proposed laws aiming to curb the sale and transfer of that data.
In our legislative update, here we review the current state of some of these proposed laws, and review the potential impact of the CCPA as businesses prepare for the January 1st enforcement date.
Legislative Update -Artificial Intelligence Funding in the FY2020 Budget
The federal government is poised to invest roughly $4.9 billion in unclassified artificial intelligence and machine learning-related research & development in fiscal year 2020. The number of AI-related programs has ballooned compared with fiscal 2019.
Read more about the potential federal funding in our legislative update here.
This Week in the States
- Alaska – Alaska House subcommittees propose much smaller cuts than those in Dunleavy’s budget
- Arizona – Arizona digital goods tax bill again mired in uncertainty
- California – California governor’s plan to create new drinking water tax faces resistance
- Colorado – Here’s where 8 major bills stand as the Colorado General Assembly barrels toward the end of its work
- Florida – Florida House Targets Airbnb
- Kentucky – Pensions, taxes and smoking bans in legislature’s final day
- Maine – Maine should bet on sports gambling, eventually
- Maine – Maine Mayors Push to Allow Local Sales Taxes
- Maryland – Maryland adopts $15 minimum wage by 2025 as lawmakers reject Hogan’s veto
- Michigan – New Michigan cyberbullying law takes effect March 27
- Missouri – Missouri House OKs $30 billion budget, adding money for roads and education
- New Jersey – N.J. won’t be getting legal weed soon. Here’s what went wrong.
- New York – Pot legalization dropped from New York state budget
- Oklahoma – Oklahoma Legislature to resume regular workload
- Pennsylvania – Legal weed update: Lawmakers eye another Pennsylvania bill, as N.J. vote is set
- Tennessee – Sports betting bill faces opposition from both Republicans and Democrats
- Tennessee – Tennessee governor’s gym tax repeal bill clears Legislature
- Texas – Hemp removed from Texas’ controlled substance list
- Texas – Property tax reform bills get a new spark of life in the Texas Legislature
- Utah – Utah to raise legal smoking age to 21
- Washington – Washington set to become ninth state to raise smoking and vaping age to 21
- Wisconsin – Legislature Asked To Clarify Patchwork Of Marijuana Laws
Stay In Touch